Seema Biswas is a professional Indian film, television, and theatre actress. She is famous for her role as Phoolan Devi in Bandit Queen in the year 1994.
She has acted in movies in several languages including Hindi, Marathi, Malayalam, Bengali, and Punjabi.
She has been awarded Life Membership of the International Film And Television Club of the Asian Academy of Film & Television.
She is continuously associated with the film industry for more than 3 decades.
Seema Biswas Birth & Background
She was born on 14th January 1965 in Guwahati, Assam.
Her father is Jagdish Biswas, who was in the construction business and her mother is Meera Biswas, who was a history teacher and theatre artist in Assam.
Seema has three siblings. Her two elder sisters are singers and a brother. Her family shifted to Nalbari in Assam after her birth.
She completed her primary education at Dhamadham School, Nalbari. She graduated from Nalbari College in political science with honors.
She then moved to New Delhi to study dramatic arts at the National School of Drama.
Her first husband was an alumnus of NSD and her second husband was a film producer named Nikhilesh Sharma.
Seema Biswas Education
Seema Biswas Physical Stats
Seema Biswas Career
She started her professional career in films with Amshini in the year 1988.
She got fame in the year 1994 when she played the role of Phoolan Devi in Shekhar Kapur’s film Bandit Queen.
She won National Film Awards in the year 1995 and Filmfare Awards in the year 1997 in the category best actress and best female debut respectively for the movie.
She won the Screen Award for Best Supporting Actress for playing the role of Flavy, a deaf and mute woman in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Khamoshi: The Musical in the year 1996.
Her notable works in Bollywood films include Company (2002), Ek Hasina Thi (2004), Water (2005), Vivah (2006), Lalbaug – Parel (2010), Jai Ho Democracy (2015), Half Girlfriend (2017), and more.
Television & Web Series
She made her professional debut on small screen in the year 2014 with Maha Kumbh: Ek Rahasaya, Ek Kahani.
She then appeared in Leila and Daadi Amma Daadi Amma Maan Jaao as Daadi Amma in the year 2020.
Additionally, She has appeared in the web series: Coded M (2020) and The Family Man Season 2 (2021).
Salary & Net Worth
Social Media Accounts
Some Unknown Facts About Seema Biswas
- She is fond of listening to music and traveling.
- She grew up in Nalbari, Assam in a Bengali family.
- She has shared the screen with her mother in the film Water (2005).
- She was a jury member of the 45th International Film Festival of India in the year 2014.
- She was offered the role of Phoolan Devi while she was rehearsing for the play Khubsurat Bahu.
- She was a loner and sulky in childhood. She was overweight and avoided interacting with other children.
- At the age of 15, she performed for the first time on stage when a local theatre contacted her mother to cast her.
- After she joined NSD, she acted in many plays and worked with the NSD Repertory Company for seven years.
- She became the first female actor in India to play the role of a transsexual in the film Queens! Destiny of Dance in the year 2011.
This is Payal Sharma. I am very passionate about entertainment writings, I love to watch new movies, Series and want to keep myself always updated in my writeups. You will enjoy my articles as everything is my own expression. Keep Reading cmriindia.org